Why Isn’t Recommended Using Bleach To Clean Mold?

Mold is a very stressful topic that most homeowners don’t like to think about. If they have to discuss it, it is because they may have discovered mold in their home. Of course, mold can be both dangerous and costly too. Chances are if you have found it you are desperately trying to determine how to clean mold as soon as you can. Many times you ask yourself if you can do the remediation and if so, what type of chemicals or cleaners you should use. IBX Services will give you some answers to all your questions.

Is bleach recommended to clean mold or not?

To be honest all homeowners think about bleach as the first chemical of cleaning up a mold problem. Chlorine bleach is the most common bleach regarded as the answer for removing and halting mold growth as a result, is the first thing used when you clean mold contaminated area. But, while bleach may be effective in certain applications, it will not exonerate mold on a porous surface and can actually contribute negatively to certain mold problems.

  • Bleach can lose effectiveness over time

You have to know that chlorine bleach rapidly loses its effectiveness. You can prove this by leaving a glass of chlorinated water out on the counter for a few days, the chlorine will evaporate. So this easy process indicates that it will be hard to ascertain the true potency of your chlorine bleach solution as the chlorine can escape through the plastic. If you use a fairly old bleach, it may not be effective at all. An older bleach will only partially kill the surface mold and create a bigger mess than you already had.

  • Bleach can actually contribute to mold growth

You have to read the label in a bleach bottle, to understanding that it is only designated for non-porous surfaces. This means that chlorine bleach can only kill surface mold, but mold can grow deep roots within porous surfaces, such as wood and drywall, bleach will not assist you in exterminating mold. As a result, if you want to completely eliminate the mold from your home, bleach is definitely not the answer.

  • Bleach is toxic

Chlorine bleach produces fumes that pollute the air so it can become harmful to both humans and pets. It generates a by-product called dioxin, which is linked to cancer. Bleach builds up several pollutants in the environment and the last thing you want to do is create more toxic chemicals in your home – mold is toxic enough.

How to get rid of mold?

There are several considerations that need to be evaluated when determining whether you should clean up the mold yourself or hire a professional. Always do your research and choose wisely.

If you have noticed that is safe to clean mold by yourself, there are a variety of options available.

  • The most important step is to determine the cause of the moisture and make any necessary changes to assure that mold will not return and the area is properly ventilated.
  • You should also consider testing to determine what type of mold you are dealing with as that may help determine what type of chemical you may need to remediate it.

Choose professionals

The right treatment for mold growth will depend on the surface it has populated. So before interact by yourself consult a professional. Mold always has been a very dangerous issue and should be taken seriously. IBX Services as an experienced company on mold remediation and not only will be able to help you. Feel free to call us 24/7 at +1-416-252-5959.

adminWhy Isn’t Recommended Using Bleach To Clean Mold?

Related Posts