What are mold and mildew?
Mold is a type of fungus that contains small organisms in different colors and that you can find anywhere indoors or outdoors. Mold reproduces through lightweight spores that are able to travel through the air and the best environment for mold to thrive is moisture. We are exposed to mold every day. It causes biodegradation of natural materials, which can be unwanted when it becomes food spoilage or damage to properties.
On the other hand, mildew is also a form of fungus. You can distinguish it from mold mostly by color. Mold comes in a variety of colors such as black, green, red, or blue. Meanwhile, mildew is white and it appears as a thin and superficial growth (fungal filaments), and it grows in warm and humid conditions. They both produce a distinctive smell.
Just like being two siblings, they have similar features, but also some striking differences. They change in color, size, or texture. Mildew is easily clean with a cleaner and a scrub and can be considered more insignificant compared to mold which is a result of a larger infestation and occurs more problems and it’s harder to handle. However, none of them is welcomed by any homeowner.
Where you can find mold and mildew?
Molds and mildew can be considered an important and necessary part of the environment. Fun fact, without them, organic materials such as leaves would not decay and the soil enrichment process would not take place, even though for our bodies and homes, molds are considered problematic. Places where mold and mildew often happen to appear include windows where condensation build-up, areas around the house where leakages and flooding have occurred, and places where the air tends to not circulate properly. Unfortunately, also furniture and carpets can provide conditions for mold and mildew to grow. Other places where mold thrives are of course damp and moist, such as kitchens, bathrooms, basements, or laundry rooms.
What are the Symptoms of Mold and Mildew Exposure
Despite being unsightly and causing unpleasant odors, mold and mildew can also cause health problems. Since we are exposed to many kinds of molds both indoors and outdoors, the potential for health problems occurs when we inhale large quantities of the airborne mold spores. Some of the molds produce mycotoxins, which can cause some serious health problems. However, for infants and people with weak immune systems, even relatively small quantities of mold spores can bring problems to their health.
Some of the reported symptoms, as a result of mold exposure, include:
Irritation of the skin and eyes.
Nasal/sinus congestion and throat irritation.
Nervous system problems.
How to prevent mold
You can’t practically eliminate all the molds around you but surely you can help with ways to avoid it become problematic. Firstly try to stop places inside and outside the house from getting moist and damp. You can achieve this by fixing broken pipes and by preventing seepage of water from outside to your house. Ventilate the area as much as possible. Try keeping things clean and dry. Disinfect the house more often.
How IBX Services will help you
Of course, you can clean by yourself small amounts of mold but you never know if it’s gone forever. That’s why professional help is always needed.
IBX Services is a full-services company for any kind of emergency service. What it signifies is that we offer the full range of solutions required for complete emergency services, cleaning and disinfection services, and commercial services too. From identifying the cause of the problem to fixing any design flaws in the affected areas, and the prevention of further and sealing to rigorous testing to detect any other indirect problem, we strive to be a leader in the emergency services solutions industry. For more information, feel free to contact us.