When a fire occurs in a house, the consequences can be paralyzing, and if the restoration of the fire is postponed, the destruction from smoke can go worse. The more you wait to address the occurred damage, the more repairs you will have to fix. This means a higher payment for damages. To prevent this, your priority should be the fire damage restoration and you have to follow some steps to get your house back to normal as soon as you can.
Call A Fire Damage Restoration Company
This step is highly important. Finding a fire damage restoration contractor that can assess the damage, start the cleanup process and give you an estimate of the costs should be your priority. Contact your house insurance company and let them know of the fire damage. It’s necessary to get the help of licensed and insured fire damage restoration company. They are trained for these cases and also they will help you following those steps for initial fire cleanup:
- They will try to save as many of house and personal belongings.
- take photos or keep written records for everything they take away from your house.
- Give you back all the undamaged furniture of your house, after the fire restoration has finished.
- They will make sure you will be back at home quickly and inform you through the restoration process.
Start Fire Cleanup Right Away
While it is good that a qualified fire restoration company deals with restoring the smoke damage, there are some small tasks you can do to minimize the initial damage before the professionals come to the main cleaning.
- VENTILATION – If you can get inside your house, open all the windows and let the smoke out of your house.
- CLEANING – Clean up all surfaces (also inside the cabinets) with water and soap. Is recommended also using an alkaline cleaner.
- LAUNDRY – Wash all bedding, clothing, curtains, and items (some of them may be in need of more than one wash).
Tough Signs Of Smoke Damage
Fire damage is a very complicated process because some signs are apparent (such as discoloration on walls and ceilings and dark stains from smoke on surfaces). For this reason, you need to make sure you have attic/roof, and exterior walls inspected and properly cleaned.